[Web4lib] Philosophy of Library web sites?

Eric Lease Morgan emorgan at nd.edu
Sat Jun 18 08:04:48 EDT 2005

Margaret E. Hazel wrote:

> I have a meeting next week to discuss with our managers the
> "philosophy"
> of our web site, so that we may start re-organizing and re-vitalizing
> the content and design of our presence....
>
> Can anyone recommend an overview article or two on these approaches
> for
> libraries - in particular public libraries of a medium size - that
> I can
> have people read before the meeting, for some context, and what each
> approach might involve, in terms of staff time commitment and
> involvement?

We here at the University Libraries of Notre Dame wrote such a
"article", here:

   http://www.library.nd.edu/daiad/website-plan/

While it does not answer the specific question regarding marketing
and 24/7 services, it does outline who is our audience, what is the
purpose of the site, and what will the site contain. In other words,
addresses the three issues of information architecture a la Lou
Rosenfeld -- users, context, and content. It also alludes to the how
we will create the site and who will do the work.

--
Eric Lease Morgan
University Libraries of Notre Dame

(574) 631-8604