[Web4lib] RE: hosting

Jesse Ephraim JEphraim at ci.southlake.tx.us
Thu Jun 16 12:28:40 EDT 2005

"The site is on a virtual host and is hosted by an ISP who will not
allow us to run any programs on the web server. We are looking for a
cheap means of making this site searchable."

Will they allow you to run non-compiled script-based programs, like
things written in PERL or PHP?  What about Active Server Pages?  Some
free PERL search engine scripts are available on the web - for examples,
check out http://www.thefreecountry.com/perlscripts/searchengines.shtml

If they don't allow the use of scripting languages, I would seriously
consider changing hosts.  You can get a reseller account and
inexpensively virtually "host" any number of other websites (with domain
names) through those accounts.

For example, I host my family site, some personal sites, a few sites for
friends, etc. all on a single reseller account at HostGator
(http://www.hostgator.com/resellers.shtml).  For $24.95 a month I can
use scripting languages, set up MySQL databases, install almost 40
freebie scripts (for blogs, Wiki pages, etc.), etc. etc. on every domain
I host (no charge for adding new ones, either, beyond the cost of the
domain name at a registrar).  There are a lot of hosting companies that
will let you set up a reseller account - I just mention HostGator
because that's the one that I use (and I've had good luck with them).

Jesse Ephraim

Adult Services Librarian
Southlake Public Library
1400 Main Street, Suite 130
Southlake, TX  76092
(817) 748-8247
jephraim at ci.southlake.tx.us

"One of the great joys of being a librarian is that it is the last
refuge of the renaissance person - everything you have ever read or
learned or picked up is likely to come in handy."

- GraceAnne A. DeCandido, Ten Graces for New Librarians