[Web4lib] seeking a web site search engine

John Fitzgibbon jfitzgibbon at Galwaylibrary.ie
Thu Jun 16 11:52:31 EDT 2005

Hi,

We have a web site of eighty pages or so which we wish to make
searchable.

The site is on a virtual host and is hosted by an ISP who will not allow
us to run any programs on the web server. We are looking for a cheap
means of making this site searchable.

We need to be able to customize the results page and the search page.
This is not possible in the case of many solutions that we have seen.
For example, the results page from Google's Sitesearch can't be
customized to any great extent.

Also, the site is relatively static. It doesn't change dramatically from
week to week so uploading a text file or index to the web server every
so often would not be a problem.

We have marked up much of the content with span tags with special class
attributes e.g.

We wish to enable people to search for words occurring within these tags
as well as within the title tags of the web page, if this is possible.

Are there any cheap solutions out there that would meet our
requirements? We are prepared to spend up to five thousand dollars.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Regards
John

John Fitzgibbon

Galway Public Library
Island House
Cathedral Square
Galway
Ireland

p: 00 353 91 562471
f: 00 353 91 565039
w: http://www.galwaylibrary.ie

Tá eolas atá príobháideach agus rúnda sa ríomhphost seo
agus aon iatán a ghabhann leis agus is leis an duine/na daoine
sin amháin a bhfuil siad seolta chucu a bhaineann siad.
Mura seolaí thú, níl tú údaraithe an ríomhphost nó aon iatán
a ghabhann leis a léamh, a chóipáil ná a úsáid.
Má tá an ríomhphost seo faighte agat trí dhearmad,
cuir an seoltóir ar an eolas thrí aischur ríomhphoist
agus scrios ansin é le do thoil.

This e-mail and any attachment contains information which is
private and confidential and is intended for the addressee
only. If you are not an addressee, you are not authorised
to read, copy or use the e-mail or any attachment.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
the sender by return e-mail and then destroy it.