[Web4lib] Google searching question

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Wed Jun 15 15:57:30 EDT 2005

I was doing some Google searching last night and stumbled across what
seemed to be an anomaly.

I entered the following search term:

"http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/~b-sloan/e-ref.html" (quotes included)

I got 10 results.

Then I entered "www.lis.uiuc.edu/~b-sloan/e-ref.html" (quotes included)

I got 23 results. Two results got a "404 not found". The odd thing is
that the other 21 had the full URL
(http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/~b-sloan/e-ref.html) in the text, i.e., not
just the shortened "www.lis.uiuc.edu/~b-sloan/e-ref.html" that I entered
in the search box for the second search.

So, there were 11 results from my second search that did not appear in
my first search, even though these 11 contained the exact text I used in
the first search.

Before I ask Google, I thought I'd see if any of the Google searching
experts out there might have a handy explanation.

Thanks!

Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant, ILCSO
University of Illinois Office for Planning and Budgeting
616 E. Green Street, Suite 213
Champaign, IL  61820

Phone: (217) 333-4895
Fax:   (217) 265-0454