[Web4lib] Searchable lists

Linda Schwartz schwartzl at cliu.org
Wed Jun 15 10:42:11 EDT 2005

I am just beginning to venture into putting additional content into our
website. I want to create lists of the accelerated readers that we own for
both the elementary and middle schools.

The lists presently are in a Word document but could easily be converted to
Excel. They presently exist as dual lists by author and title, however, the
lists are long and I hate to take up that much space on the website with
essentially duplicate content.

My goal is to produce for each school a single alphabetic title list which
could also be searched by author or grade level. I can, of course, do this
with Google's free website search tool, however, the link that is provided
just takes the viewer to the list - they still have to scan the entire list
to find each occurrence of the keyword searched - which isn't even
highlighted to make it easy to spot.

So --- am I being too ambitious with the tools at hand (Frontpage, some HTML
coding skill, hosted website).  Does a project like this require content
management tools? Are there basic free search scripts or cms tools I can tap
to create the result I want?

I realize many of you are working in academic settings with masses of data,
but I'd be grateful to be pointed in a direction to getting started with
this kind of basic searchable content.

Linda Matula Schwartz

Systems Librarian

Whitehall Township Public Library