[Web4lib] query regarding copyright issues and school library web sites

John Eye eye at suu.edu
Tue Jun 14 11:33:10 EDT 2005

I am not an attorney, but I don't see a problem with any of what you have described.  To be safe, you might want to get written permission from the person (or parents) in the photo, especially if they are a minor.

John Eye

Dr. John Eye
Asst. Professor of Instructional Media
Sherratt Library
Southern Utah University
Cedar City, Utah 84720
435 865 8392 office
eye at suu.edu

>>> Janet Mumford <jmum at telus.net> 6/14/2005 7:39 AM >>>
Hi  Web4lib list members

Is it within copyright to:
photograph a person holding
1. a picture book, a music CD, a video case either: (showing the covers
of each of these things) or (not showing the covers of each of these
things),
2.  a name brand stuffed toy (bob the builder) sitting next to a
picture book (showing the cover)
3. a spine of a book or books on a shelf,............... and put these
photographs up on a school library web site?

I am new to web design and would appreciate help with this issue.

Thanks

Janet Mumford
Teacher Librarian
Richmond, BC, Canada