[Web4lib] Contribute and Subject Guides

Eric Lease Morgan emorgan at nd.edu
Thu Jun 9 12:53:34 EDT 2005

On Jun 9, 2005, at 11:00 AM, web4lib-request at webjunction.org wrote:

> I've inherited my library's subject-specific research
> guides and I'm trying to bring them into the 21st century.
> I'm particularly interested in the University of
> Minnesota's LibData and I'm wondering if anyone's had
> experience with it. For political reasons, though, I'm
> also interested in continuing to use static web pages and
> setting it up so that our selectors/instructors can edit
> them with Macromedia Contribute. Has anyone had success
> (or no success) with convincing non-web people to maintain
> their own pages in this manner?

We use Contribute here in the Libraries, but not to edit lists of
resources such as the things normally found on subject pages. To manage
our lists of resources appearing on subject pages we use a database
application, specifically MyLibrary:

   http://dewey.library.nd.edu/mylibrary/

For narrative texts, such as the things describing what the Reference
Department does or the outlines of collection policies, Contribute is
great. It combines the functionality of WYSIWYG HTML editing with
site-wide templates for a consistent, enterprise-wide look & feel.

Both MyLibrary and Contribute provide the means for the content
provider to focus on content, the graphic designer to focus on graphic
design, and the infrastructure people to focus on infrastructure.

--
Eric Lease Morgan
Head, Digital Access and Information Architecture Department

(574) 631-8604