[Web4lib] RSS usage

Blake Carver lists at lisnews.com
Tue Jun 7 12:14:35 EDT 2005

> For those who have created RSS feeds for new title lists and other
> library resources -- what is your usage?  Do you advertise or inform
> your faculty and students about RSS in some way?  Do you promote a
> particular reader?
> Are we better off focusing our efforts on the dozens of other projects
> we could be working on?

I'm always surprised at just how many people appear to be using RSS. I
can't really speak to library users, but I have a good idea how many
people access librarian web sites via RSS, and the numbers would probably
surprise you. They continue to surprise me.

LISNews was one of the first sites to have RSS feeds available, and even 5
years ago the usage surprised me. Within weeks, and with nothing more than
a single link at the bottom of the page, we had hundreds of unique IPs
hitting the file. This was long before feed readers caught on. There are
several sites on LISHost that receive the VAST majority of hits on their
RSS files. I'm more on the supply side of the RSS system, I don't actually
use a feed reader myself, but it's amazing how many people seem to be
using them.

I'd say if it's not too much work, go for it, it's a neat idea and it
would be really interesting to see how people use such a system. Do let us
know how it turns out if you decide to make a move.

-----
Blake Carver
LISNews.com
Librarian & Information Science News