[Web4lib] A very basic quesiont on library home page URL format

Erik Adams EAdams at sheppardmullin.com
Fri Jun 3 12:30:41 EDT 2005

> Is there any reason why, since it is our
> main entry point, that the library
> home page shouldn't just be referred to as
> http://library.umassd.edu

Technically, no.  As others have pointed out, the "www" prefix is a
historical holdover from the early days of the web.

However, I have a VERY good social reason:  many users automatically
prefix URLs with "www".  I remember a few years ago a local radio show
had a promotion for a web site with the URL
"bigpromotion.earthlink.net", and immediately got calls and emails from
people saying "hey, I tried going to www.bigpromotion.earthlink.net and
was told it didn't exist".  The disk jockeys had to say "no 'www'"
whenever they gave out the URL.

Erik Y. Adams
Electronic Resources Librarian
Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton
eadams at sheppardmullin.com
(213)617-5429 / Fax: (213)620-1398

This message is sent by a law firm and may contain information that is privileged or confidential. If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachments.
Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP

Please visit our website at www.sheppardmullin.com