[Web4lib] A very basic quesiont on library home page URL format

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Fri Jun 3 12:07:59 EDT 2005

Charlie wrote:

> Is there any reason why, since it is our main entry point, that
> the library home page shouldn't just be referred to as
> http://library.umassd.edu <http://library.umassd.edu/>  ?

> Actually, it works now, but we've always referred to it with the
> www in  front, I guess to note that it is a web page and not a system
> of some sort (maybe a past nod to a specific protocol)..and I note
> that most libraries seem to stick to this www format (not all!!).

I'd say stick with both.  The bottom line these days is that the 'www'
part is basically meaningless.  Unfortunately, people are so used to
adding it that you need to make sure your domain name server can
accommodate both.  On one site I was working on, the 'www' wasn't
registered.  Nevertheless, the director of the program blithely gave it
out with the 'www'.  This resulted in a number of 404 errors.

People are just used to seeing it.  I get the feeling that people
understand 'www.yoursite.com' more readily as a website than simply
'yoursite.com' -- at least visually.  I don't know why.  I can't prove
it.  But there you go.

LEO

Leo Robert Klein
www.leoklein.com