[Web4lib] A very basic quesiont on library home page URL format

Char!ie umassdlcc at umassd.edu
Thu Jun 2 20:53:24 EDT 2005

Pardon for this basic question on URL addresses for the library, but before
we change our listing of it in our various materials I wanted to see if I
wasn't missing something obvious.

In the past, we've always divided up our URL addresses by type/location,
like

-        the online catalog would be http://voyager.lib.umassd.edu
<http://voyager.lib.umassd.edu/>

-        the library web home page would be http://www.lib.umassd.edu
<http://www.lib.umassd.edu/>

-        the eReserves system would be http://eres.lib.umassd.edu
<http://eres.lib.umassd.edu/>

-        etc.

Is there any reason why, since it is our main entry point, that the library
home page shouldn't just be referred to as http://library.umassd.edu
<http://library.umassd.edu/>  ?

Actually, it works now, but we've always referred to it with the www in
front, I guess to note that it is a web page and not a system of some sort
(maybe a past nod to a specific protocol)..and I note that most libraries
seem to stick to this www format (not all!!).

Sorry if it's too basic, but I couldn't think of a particular reason why we
shouldn't make the change, so I just had to ask the experts. Am I missing
something obvious?

Charlie

cmcneil at umassd.edu

systems & digital services librarian