[Web4lib] Next new thing?

Mark Costa markrcosta at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 09:10:45 EDT 2005

I am going to go with three dimensional displays of information.
Currently all of our information is stored and displayed in a linear
fashion. Think of the library shelves or lists of search results.
However, if you were to map a list of search results by controlled
vocabulary (just one example) in three dimensional space, and draw
lines between items that share subject headings, you would get a web
of knowledge (no, not the ISI kind).

I think it would be interesting to see a library's collection
presented this way. Only then could you get a feel for the
relationship between various works. Several companies have been doing
this with keywords in OPACS and thesauri
(http://www.visualthesaurus.com/online/)

Mark Costa

On 7/18/05, fiona bradley <blisspix at gmail.com> wrote:
> Vlogs! Though I think their impact will be limited, since it requires
> more bandwidth and hardware than podcasting, and requires you to sit
> in fron tof a screen (whether computer or television). Though their
> potential in providing alternatives to current television programming
> and bringing existing community television programs to a wider
> audience is enormous. It's also great that so many vloggers have all
> of their work archived by the Internet Archive - which didn't happen
> automatically with blogs or podcasts.
>
> I see the potential for more video artists to distribute their work
> via vlogs, too, instead of just showing their work in galleries.
>
> Adrian Miles from RMIT has a fascinating blog on vlogging -
> http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vlog/
>
> regards,
> Fiona
>
> On 7/16/05, Sloan, Bernie <bernies at uillinois.edu> wrote:
> > First we had blogging, and then podcasting.
> >
> > What's the next new up-and-coming thing along these lines?
> >
> > Bernie Sloan
> > Senior Information Systems Consultant
> > Consortium of Academic & Research Libraries in Illinois
> > 616 E. Green Street, Suite 213
> > Champaign, IL  61820-5752
> >
> > Phone: (217) 333-4895
> > Fax:   (217) 265-0454