[Web4lib] RE: library automation vendors

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 13:32:35 EDT 2005

I am all in favor of APIs (and XML) as ways to give larger libraries the
freedom to build what they wish. But I am not sure I buy the notion that all
you need to do is give libraries the APIs, let a thousand flowers boom, and
<poof> you've achieved usability.
 Usability is HARD. I think the better answer is to demand that the vendors
provide good out-of-the-box usability for end users, AND that they provide
the APIs (and XML) for integration and/or local improvements.
 /rich