[Web4lib] RE: Another Google question

Jennifer Heise jahb at Lehigh.EDU
Fri Jul 15 16:03:06 EDT 2005

Sloan, Bernie wrote:

>Jeremy said:
>"And what's with the Google fetish, anyway?  Isn't this list supposed to
>be about using the web to the benefit of libraries?"
>I'm confused. How is Google NOT related to using the web for the benefit
>of libraries?

 From the Web4Lib website:
"The *Web4Lib* electronic discussion is for the discussion of issues
relating to the creation, management, and support of library-based
World-Wide Web servers, services, and applications. "

Google isn't a library based Web server, service or application, is it?
While I don't think we shouldn't talk about Google, the list in general
seems to spend a lot more time on Google discussions than on 'how we can
improve library-based servers, services and applications.

Now, if people want to talk about the possiblity of using the Google
local search product on their library-based website and whether that
provides an acceptable level of service, that'd be fascinating.

/   Jennifer Heise, Helpdesk/Librarian, Email: jahb at lehigh.edu
\ \ Lehigh Library & Technology Services, Phone: (610) 758-3072
  / Fairchild-Martindale Library, 8A Packer Ave, Bethlehem PA 18015

"Comment is free, but facts are on expenses." -- Tom Stoppard