[Web4lib] RE: Another Google question

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 14:35:10 EDT 2005

I used to be a prescriptivist about language. My mother, and my middle
school teacher Mrs. McCool, made me that way. I used to think there was
"the" right way to say things.
 Although I haven't entirely gotten over that tendency, I've come to realize
that language is how people choose to speak and write. The rules descibe the
behavior; they don't prescribe the behavior.
 And so it is with search. People type in a few (1 to 2 in most cases) words
and expect the search engine to do its magic. And -- surprise! -- most of
the time Google delivers.
 Google was the first search engine to really match its hit list with its
users expectations. Let the engine behave according to the way its customers
do, instead of tilting at windmills trying to train the customer to search
"correctly."
 Who are we to gainsay that? Larry and Sergey built Google to handle
millions of searches across billions of URLs with simplicity. They didn't
have OPACs or set theory in mind; they had human behavior in mind.
 Those of us of a certain age remember the original Star Trek. Spock would
say "Computer." It would respond "working." He'd ask a very specific
question. It (she) would intone a very specific response. They didn't debate
the size of the hit list.
 We all know that's over-idealizing what a search engine can deliver with
quality. But millions expect that kind of interaction.
 Maybe we could convince Google to offer "Basic / Advanced / OPAC-Like"? :-)
 /rich
 PS -- it still bugs me when people get "I" vs "me" wrong... :-)