[Web4lib] RE: Another Google question

David Walker dwalker at csusm.edu
Fri Jul 15 13:33:22 EDT 2005

>> The big, big win you get from Google
>> is that its top hit (or second, or third)
>> is nearly always the one you want.  That's
>> rarely true of OPACs

Mike, unfortunately I'm not sure I can fully appreciate this line of
argumentation that you and others have offered.

I've heard Karen and Roy say many, many more critical things about
library catalog systems then they have about Google.

So when they offer a (valid) criticism of Google, why retort that it's
better than any OPAC?  I'm sure it is. But that does not, in turn, make
Google somehow above criticism.

I personally think Google's link-to search feature has broad interest
for any company or IT department building a web site, so its
shortcomings are likely of interest to many, many more people beyond
this list.

Alright, back to work for me.  I've spent far too much time reading this
list this morning.  Damn you all for being so interesting! :-)

--Dave

David Walker
Web Development Librarian
Library