[Web4lib] Local History Database

D.H. Mattison dmattison at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 8 01:13:30 EDT 2005

I use the Scout Portal Toolkit (http://scout.wisc.edu/Projects/SPT/) from
the Internet Scout Project for my British Columbia History Portal
(http://bchistoryportal.tc.ca). Like CWIS recommended by Mark Jordan, the
SPT has specific system requirements and should run right out of the zipped
file as long as you or a system administrator have "root" privileges to
install it. Once you've assigned SPT access and editorial privileges, the
site (not system) administrator can even customize the database by adding
new fields and rearranging existing fields. The system administrator can
also redesign the site's look and feel. The SPT is basically designed as a
collaborative database tool for documenting Web and other kinds of Internet
resources, so if your local history materials are hardcopy only, you're
likely out of luck, because I think the URL is a mandatory field that can't
be changed to make it optional.

David Mattison
Victoria, BC, Canada
dmattison at shaw.ca