[Web4lib] Home-brewed link checkers?

Randy Norwood randy.norwood at ttu.edu
Tue Jul 5 10:16:39 EDT 2005

I've written a few variations of a script that uses LWP (and some other
modules) to do link checking. The simplest uses only LWP and is about 15
lines long, and is used when one is given a list of URLs to check (i.e., no
need to traverse a set of web pages).

Another one is used to search through the content of my library's website,
stored in a MySQL database, to extract links, check them and then populate
another MySQL table containing the website's links. This uses LWP,
HTML::LinkExtor, URI::URL (and of course DBI for the database interface).

In general, if you're link checking live web pages on a server, some of the
free or commercial products mentioned earlier would be more than adequate.
The scripts I wrote were meant for some specialized needs.

--
Randy Norwood
E-mail: randy.norwood at ttu.edu