[WEB4LIB] RE: Decline in Web4Lib message volume

Robertson, James Robertson at ADM.NJIT.EDU
Wed Jan 26 20:24:56 EST 2005

I want to echo Grace's comments about searchable archives.  Many times I search the archives (whether Web4Lib or other ones) -- or the web in general -- for the question and answer before I post.  If found, the post never happens.

         --Jim Robertson, NJIT library

	-----Original Message-----
	From: web4lib at webjunction.org on behalf of Grace J. Agnew
	Sent: Wed 1/26/2005 4:52 PM
	To: Multiple recipients of list
	Subject: [WEB4LIB] RE: Decline in Web4Lib message volume

	I've noticed a decline in quantity on most lists.  I suspect this might
	be the result of a proliferation of specific lists or possibly
	indicating that people are moving to newer technologies. There's
	probably also some "list fatique."  I suffer from this, myself.  I took
	the bold step of unsubscribing from most of my lists, and I haven't
	really missed them.  When I have a specific question or need, I search
	the archives for the most relevant lists.  Most of the lists I subscribe
	to now are "update" lists that announce conferences or that something
	has been added to a website that I am interested in.  CNI_Announce is
	one of the most useful of the announce lists I subscribe to.

	One of our faculty members returned from ALA Midwinter and set up a blog
	on a public blog site to share her findings and invite contributions
	from others who attended ALA.  I suspect we will start to see list
	traffic decline generally as blog usage increases.  Web4Lib remains one
	of the most, if not the most, useful list I subscribe to, though!

	Grace Agnew