Decline in Web4Lib message volume

Walter Giesbrecht walterg at yorku.ca
Wed Jan 26 16:10:00 EST 2005

Scritchfield, Larry wrote:
> Of course, volume of messages does not equate to quality of signal...
> Here are some theories
>
> Moderator enforcment on-topic posts?
>
> An abatement of "me too" posts?
>
> Proliferation of specialized lists (thus *increasing* the total amount
> of email to be plowed through)?

Or

- proliferation of Web-based forums?

- active retreat from online discussion (in a fruitless attempt
to reduce the amount of email one receives)?

- more knowledgeable participants, not asking as many questions?

- over-active spam filters?

I'd be interested to know how the number of subscribers has
changed over the years; in parallel with the number of messages,
perhaps? How has the # posts/subscriber changed?

Walter Giesbrecht                               walterg at yorku.ca
Data Librarian                                203E Scott Library
York University, Toronto, CANADA          416.736-2100 ext.77551