[WEB4LIB] CSS versus tables when zooming a web page in Opera

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Jan 21 08:17:48 EST 2005

John Fitzgibbon wrote:

> I have looked at other web pages and what interests me is that pages
> that survive this degree of scaling (up to 1000 per cent) all seem to
> use tables rather than CSS to achieve their layout. Is it conceivable
> that tables might be better after all? Please say it ain't so.

Define "better".  You're trying to work with a proprietary feature of
one browser, within a tightly constrained page design.  It isn't that
surprising that this particular feature has some rough edges.  Since
part of Opera's zoom feature includes a recalculation of pixel sizes, it
doesn't surprise me that it zooms tables with pixel dimensions.

FWIW, my copy of Opera 8.0b zooms DIVs with either pixel or em dimensions.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu