Remote access (proxy/VPN, etc)?

Randy Norwood randy.norwood at ttu.edu
Wed Jan 19 10:27:47 EST 2005

My library is currently looking at alternatives to VPN for controlling
access to online databases and journals. We've used VPN for one year, with
varying levels of success. Before that, we used ezproxy, with the default
URL rewriting/dynamic port assignment method. A year ago, our campus IT
department closed off most ports at the campus firewall, necessitating our
switch to VPN.

I'd like some feedback from other libraries concerning their method of
remote access control. Please reply off-list. If there are enough replies, I
will compile the results and post to the list.

In particular, I'd like to know:

** Do you use a proxy server, VPN or something else?
** If a proxy server, what is the product name?
** If ezproxy, do you use rewriting/dynamic ports or proxy by hostname?
** Do you authenticate with the campus "single sign-on" system, the library
patron database, or something else?

Thanks.

--
Randy Norwood