[WEB4LIB] Re: Third party access to patron information

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Sat Jan 15 12:07:04 EST 2005

This also raises issues of who and how the data is being accessed from our
library systems. While I understand the desire of users to use these tools
to access information in ways that our automation vendors are unable or
unwilling to provide, I'm guessing that this is going to raise all kinds
of red flags with our vendors and systems administrators.

I don't recall discussions about "acceptable use" of library automation
systems but I think there are legitimate questions about third-parties
accessing that information, especially those who are doing so for profit.
I think an argument can be made that the data stored on our systems is
specifically intended only for use by our system and for the direct use by
our patrons. I wouldn't be surprised if we see systems starting to
institute "acceptable use" policies for patrons to disallow the
possibility of data scraping by third parties.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI