Third party access to patron information

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at rcls.org
Sat Jan 15 11:44:32 EST 2005

Michael, et al.
   That's the problem--I don't think LibraryELF users are being made aware of the reprocussions or that LibraryELF's privacy statement is adequate. I don't see anything on the LibraryELF site that informs people that other family members, even children, may have expectations that their library records are confidential.
   They also do not disclose that although they don't collect personal information via the their own sign-up process, the library card number and PIN you give them also can provide access (depending on the local library system, but most do so) to street addresses, phone numbers, birthdates, student numbers, etc.
   Were they to beef up their privacy policy and at least acknowledge that confidentiality even within a family may be a concern, I would feel less troubled.

>Jerry;
>

>As a user of LibraryElf I think you've made the argument right in >your above
>text. It's the user's choice to allow the third-party to have access >to this
>information. This is no different than my deciding to share my >library card
>and associated information with a spouse, friend, etc. As long as I >know
>that I'm doing exactly that and what the potential repercussions are, >why
>should it be the concern of the library.

>Now, if the library was to do this on my behalf, without my >permission, then
>I'd have a significant problem.

Michael Sauers, Librarian, Trainer & Author
Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
Aurora, CO :: 303-751-6277 x110 :: msauers at bcr.org

Jerry Kuntz
Electronic Resources Consultant
Ramapo Catskill Library System