[WEB4LIB] RE: Third-party access to patron info

Charlie Irwin cirwin at criminal-sound.com
Fri Jan 14 16:24:41 EST 2005

At 03:12 PM 1/14/2005, Michael Sauers wrote:

>As a user of LibraryElf I think you've made the argument right in your above
>text. It's the user's choice to allow the third-party to have access to this
>information. This is no different than my deciding to share my library card
>and associated information with a spouse, friend, etc. As long as I know
>that I'm doing exactly that and what the potential repercussions are, why
>should it be the concern of the library.

The question would then be whether the user realized how much access they
were being asked to allow when they signed on. I suspect that they aren't
being specifically warned of the extent to which they are allowing the
third party access to their records.

Charlie Irwin

"For it is the greatest truth of our age: Information is not knowledge."
Caleb Carr, Killing Time