[WEB4LIB] RE: New Directions

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Mon Jan 10 10:34:44 EST 2005

There appears to be at least one ALA division that's trying to deal with
the "virtual meeting" issue. ACRL has a "Virtual Meetings Task Force".
(Caveat: I know nothing about this task force, how far along they might
be in the process, what they are discussing, etc...I only ran across a
reference to it the other day).

The charge to the task force is:

The Virtual Meeting Task Force (VMTF) is charged with recommending how
to implement ALA policy and guidelines on virtual (open electronic)
meetings into ACRL's section and committee meeting policies and
practices.  Specifically, the VMTF should:

* Recommend any changes needed to current ACRL policies, procedures, or
documents;
* Create ACRL meeting guidelines for virtual meetings that comply with
approved ALA policy and procedures, with particular attention to the
following:

  * VM announcement policies and procedures;
  * Methods for keeping the meetings open and accessible to members and
non-members (without fiscal support);
  * Mechanisms for reporting and archiving;
  * If actions taken during a virtual meeting need to be ratified,
methods for ratifying actions;
  * Compile from ACRL Section's experience, lessons learned for making
virtual meetings successful, for example, when a virtual meeting is an
appropriate substitute for a face-to-face (F2F) meeting.

The Task Force should familiarize itself with virtual electronic meeting
activities within ACRL and actively incorporate evolving ALA policy and
procedures in their planning and recommendations.

Bernie Sloan