[WEB4LIB] RE: Seeing ourselves as others see us

Wilson,Alane wilsona at oclc.org
Fri Jan 7 17:07:39 EST 2005

Karen has such a way with words... "last-gen, hoity-toity word pudding".
I love that! But seriously, I also agree with her comments. I too read
the article and my over-all thought was that the Abbot of Cluny might
have written such a "word pudding" on hearing that an upstart printer
named Johannes Gutenberg was tinkering with things he had no place
tinkering with.

And if you haven't read this Shirkey piece it makes a very wry
counterbalance to the Gorman piece.

[excerpt] "The Internet is the most important thing for scholarship
since the
printing press, and all information which can be online should be
online, because that is the most efficient way to distribute material
to the widest possible audience. Billington should probably be asked
to resign, based on his contempt for U.S. citizens who don't happen to
live within walking distance of his library."

http://www.shirky.com/writings/loc_book.html

He has done some consulting to the Library of Congress so knows of what
he writes.

Alane Wilson, MLIS
Senior Library Market Consultant
Marketing and Library Services