two questions on viruses

John Fitzgibbon jfitzgibbon at Galwaylibrary.ie
Fri Jan 7 06:08:19 EST 2005

Hi,

Some of our PCs make the library catalogue available (a web site) and
only the library catalogue available to the public. It is not possible
to access any other web site or run any Office program on these PCs. Can
these PCs become infected by a virus or worm? There is no anti-virus
software running on them.

Secondly, I read that a virus attaches itself either to the beginning or
end of a program and launches itself when that program is run. As an
experiment, I took two programs, Notepad.exe and NoteTab.exe: I copied
them into one file using a DOS command. The result is a much smaller
file than the sum of its parts which does not launch the two programs in
quick succession, as I expected. Any ideas on why this might be so?

Regards
John

John Fitzgibbon

Galway Public Library
Island House
Cathedral Square
Galway
Ireland

p: 00 353 91 562471
f: 00 353 91 565039
w: http://www.galwaylibrary.ie

Tá eolas atá príobháideach agus rúnda sa ríomhphost seo
agus aon iatán a ghabhann leis agus is leis an duine/na daoine
sin amháin a bhfuil siad seolta chucu a bhaineann siad.
Mura seolaí thú, níl tú údaraithe an ríomhphost nó aon iatán
a ghabhann leis a léamh, a chóipáil ná a úsáid.
Má tá an ríomhphost seo faighte agat trí dhearmad,
cuir an seoltóir ar an eolas thrí aischur ríomhphoist
agus scrios ansin é le do thoil.

This e-mail and any attachment contains information which is
private and confidential and is intended for the addressee
only. If you are not an addressee, you are not authorised
to read, copy or use the e-mail or any attachment.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
the sender by return e-mail and then destroy it.