[WEB4LIB] Re: Co-founder of Wikipedia talks about problems

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Jan 4 16:43:06 EST 2005

Drew, Bill wrote:

> I find the reasoning here to be suspect in some ways.
>
> > First we must agree that Wikipedia is needed, or this discussion
> > becomes pointless.
>
> Then this discussion is pointless!  Juts because people use it does not
> mean it is needed.  It could mean that they are unaware of better
> resources.

Perhaps "need" is a word I should avoid.  It seems to have the effect
of stepping on other peoples toes.  Earlier today I thought I needed
Wikipedia, but now I will reduce this statement to "I use Wikipedia".
I also use books, libraries and e-mail.

> Does this mean that Creationists could change articles on evolution?
> Would those that believe in Intelligent Design of the Cosmos be
> considered factual where there is no scientific evidence?

Did you take the time to read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution
and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creationism ?
How did you like these articles?  Anybody can edit them.  You too.

> >Innovations
> > always appeal to new categories of users.  Wikipedia is primarily for
> > Internet users, not for traditional users of encyclopedias.  This is a
> > classic generation shift, as described in "The Innovator's Dilemma" by
> > Clayton M. Christensen.
>
> This is very faulty reasoning in my mind.  I am one of the early users
> of the Internet and I still use computers.
> This is not a classic generation shift. It just shows people going to
> what is available with the least effort!

Then, could you please describe how classic generation shifts work?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)
  Project Runeberg - free Nordic literature - http://runeberg.org/