[WEB4LIB] Re: Co-founder of Wikipedia talks about problems

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Tue Jan 4 10:30:51 EST 2005

Drew, Bill wrote:

>This is not a classic generation shift. It just shows people going to
>what is available with the least effort!

Which is exactly what people do and is exactly why libraries and
librarians are struggling to get patrons to use the clumsy resources
that they pay so much to have access to.

I don't think the use of Wikipedia should be encouraged or discouraged.
It's a website just like any other, however, what makes it special (and
therefore, more valuable than academic and "vetted" sites, IMHO) is that
people are actually *using* it.

Therefore, what we need to do is create ways to access this "valuable"
information from /within/ these alternative interfaces.  This search in
Wikipedia also brings back x number of results in Academic Search
Premier (or whatever) and provide a link to that canned search.  Or this
movie that you are looking at in IMDB is available from your local
public library.

I don't think the solution is to try to take people away from "what is
available with the least effort".  Good God, no... at least they're
searching somewhere.  The much better approach would be to insert
ourselves into their search (wherever) and present alternatives to
whatever the user got.  We get really concerned about "branding" and
making sure that people know where the resources they use come from, but
this can be achieved (possibly better) through ubiquity than through
forced branding by forcing people into our resources and websites.

If my library is just "everywhere", then I'm not nearly as likely to
forget about it.

-Ross.