[WEB4LIB] Re: Decline in Web4Lib message volume

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu Jan 27 11:29:46 EST 2005

> a. The proliferation of blogs, wikis, zines, lists, gnomes, and little men
> have reduced our attention to/reliance on any single list, even one as
> good
> as Web4Lib. (Not snarky: Web4Lib continues to work remarkably well. Too
> bad
> PACS-L doesn't.)

Web4Lib continues to be an excellent resource for me, but I have found that
when I post something here, it stays here, and when I post something to my
blog it grows legs and walks into what I call the biblioblogosphere, and
then beyond, and in doing so picks up new readers and commenters who add
value to the conversation.  So I end up double-posting, or I post to my
blog. Increasingly, the latter.

Donning my lii.org hat, we had a remarkable education when we added RSS
feeds. Now people find us through the blog-finding agents. Librarians,
including me, suck at marketing, but by adding RSS feeds, we stumbled onto a
way for the audience to find us, instead of the glacially slow process of
dissemination through our existing readership.

Again: web4lib: useful. Internet: changing. Implications: let's see.

Karen G. Schneider (also a Web4Lib ed. board member, but posting on her own
behalf)
kgs at bluehighways.com / kgs at lii.org