[WEB4LIB] Re: Decline in Web4Lib message volume

Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org
Thu Jan 27 11:09:43 EST 2005

As one who should have been here from the beginning (but wasn't--I was a
PACS-L original), I would suggest:

a. The proliferation of blogs, wikis, zines, lists, gnomes, and little men
have reduced our attention to/reliance on any single list, even one as good
as Web4Lib. (Not snarky: Web4Lib continues to work remarkably well. Too bad
PACS-L doesn't.)

b. I suspect some who would be active posters are so disgusted with email
that they're using alternative methods for most everything, which does
discourage posting/responding (just as it discourages commenting on
weblogs). When aggregators get too aggravating (about two months after text
ads become ubiquitous), we/they will flee to some even less direct tracking
mechanism.

c. All the other factors already mentioned.

Bill: Push technology? You REALLY want push technology? Good luck, and....
Be careful what you wish for.

walt crawford, who still gets posts directly...