[WEB4LIB] RE: xhtml compliant WYSIWYG editor

Randy Norwood randy.norwood at ttu.edu
Wed Jan 12 13:51:57 EST 2005

At Texas Tech Univ library, I developed a fairly simple CMS based on PHP and
MySQL. I selected a commercial product, eWebeditPro (www.ektron.com), for
the editor. It's primarily wysiwyg, but also allows direct editing of HTML.
It's supposed to produce valid XHTML, but it also has many configuration
options that, if not properly set, will allow non-compliant XHTML to be
generated. I haven't had the time or inclination to tweak and test it to
make sure the output is fully compliant. It seems to be good enough, and I'm
pleased with the product. Some of the content providers who have used
Dreamweaver, HomeSite and other full-featured editors can feel constrained
by this CMS editing interface.

Another product I've kept an eye on, but haven't evaluated yet, is FckEditor
(<http://sourceforge.net/projects/fckeditor/>), which is free. It has the
advantage of not requiring IE (it works in Mozilla/Firefox as well as IE).

--
Randy Norwood
E-mail: randy.norwood at ttu.edu