[WEB4LIB] xhtml compliant WYSIWYG editor

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jan 12 12:55:38 EST 2005

Some facts and opinions I hope are a help.  I'm in a rush so I come off
sounding rather doctrinaire.  I just mean to make some quick points I
think you should consider.

XHTML Transitional does not prohibit 'font' tags.  It is meant to be
compatible with certain older coding practices and newer ones using CSS.
It is XHTML Strict that eliminates 'font' tags and other presentational
tags and attributes, in favor of the CSS mechanisms.  Existing pages
_should_ be converted to transitional code and newly created pages
_should_ be coded as strict code, although there are still cases (mostly
using applets and multimedia) when you must violate standards to get
things to work in browsers.

A good CMS should be reliably generating code that fits your site.  Since
your system is home-grown, its creators should be made aware of the issues
you're facing.  The template designers should create the basic code for
the site and content contributors should be essentially filling in forms
without worrying about HTML at all.  Apply any pressure you can to get
this right, otherwise, why bother with a CMS?  Template designers or
content contributers that can't get things like accessibility issues right
are just causing you new troubles down the line.

For WYSIWYG editing you probably want either Macromedia Dreamweaver or
Contribute.  For use with a homegrown CMS, Contribute might be sufficient.
Dreamweaver lets you view the created code and edit it directly, which
Contribute does not allow.  But a WYSIWYG editor can't protect you from
needing to know and understand HTML if you are working with CSS.

However, IMHO, the only way to get the code right is to write the code.
There is no substitute for viewing resulting pages in several different
browsers especially if you're using CSS.  An excellent, free,
standards-compliant editor worth looking at is HTML-Kit
<http://www.chami.com/html-kit/>.  It is not WYSIWYG, but it does make it
convenient to see the results of your work quickly.

Chris Gray
Library Systems
University of Waterloo