[WEB4LIB] RE: xhtml compliant WYSIWYG editor

Jeph Remley jremley at lms.kent.edu
Wed Jan 12 12:39:29 EST 2005

Here at Kent State University Libraries & Media Services, we also built
a CMS using PHP, and first added in Editize (http://www.editize.com/) as
our WYSIWYG editor.  Over time we had Java problems, with the editor
crashing for some of our content providers, locking up, etc...  Updating
the JRE for staff members etc didn't always result in reliable fixes, so
we decided to try another editor - DevEdit (http://www.editlet.com/).
That editor seems to work ok, and I believe cranks out cleaner code (I
haven't looked at the resulting code lately - I don't recall how clean
it is), and seems more reliable.

We've actually given our content providers the option to choose between
editors - they can set this along with other preferences as part of the CMS.

The two editors DO have their differences - how they render/develope
unordered/ordered lists (especially when indenting embedded/sub-lists!),
options when building a table (which, for the most part, we've blocked
from the WYSIWYG options so our users can't use tables for layout
purposes), etc.  If I remember right, Editize generated less-clean code
than DevEdit.

We've also considered Editlet (http://www.editlet.com/), but realized we
couldn't easily install a trial copy here for testing without more
trouble than it may be worth at the moment.

 From the sounds of your msg, you're not looking for a Contribute or
Dreamweaver type solution - you're actually looking for an application
that can be incorporated into the code of your CMS?  (FWIW, I've notice
some of the code generated by Contribute in our intranet pages isn't
very clean either....was sort of surprise!)

Jeph Remley
Multimedia/Web Developer
Kent State University
Libraries & Media Services