[WEB4LIB] Re: "Generation shifts" and technology

Ryan Eby ryaneby at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 23:54:44 EST 2005

I still think it's true for most generations (not being inherently
tech savvy). While it may be more prevalent with younger generations,
it's far from 100%. I'd have to say that there is an even mix between
ages for the support line I work. While the majority of people I know
that are computer literate tend to be younger, there are plenty of
younger people I know that have difficulties. It's been shown in this
thread that there are plenty of people in all age groups that "defy
the norms". I think it just shows that at this point you can't make an
assumption based on age or "generation". People are still coming from
all sorts of backgrounds with technology. I, at one point, was a
secondary education major (last year), and helped teach a course on
web development and use of webpages as outreach to parents. Almost
none of my peers had the background in technology that most of the
people on this list has even though they happen to be younger. While
more and more are growing up with technology, it still can't be
"presumed".

Ryan Eby