[WEB4LIB] "Generation shifts" and technology

Steve Cramer SMCRAMER smcramer at uncg.edu
Thu Jan 6 09:53:11 EST 2005

It's easy, imo, to get into stereotypes about technology use and age.

I was a volunteer trainer for the local freenet in the mid 1990's, and my
college library hosted users meetings. Consistently, half the folks there
were retirees, or at least grey-haired; there was also a large number of
young adults and a few high school kids, but not too many folks in between.

Why were those seniors so involved?

Many enjoyed keeping up with their families and grandkids via email while
snowbirding (we were in Michigan), and many also wanted to track their
portfolios they used as part of their retirement income.

Ten years later, I bet those older netizens give tips to their grandkids
(if they will listen) on searching the web or customizing their browsers...

--Steve
Steve Cramer
Librarian for Accounting, Business, Economics, & Textiles
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
smcramer at uncg.edu, 336-256-0346, AIM: crams828

Ask us! Phone, chat, email, or in person:
http://library.uncg.edu/depts/ref/askalib/