[WEB4LIB] Re: Co-founder of Wikipedia talks about problems

Michael McCulley drweb at san.rr.com
Mon Jan 3 21:08:45 EST 2005

I agree with Brad and Alain. It's an interesting communal publishing
enterprise, and not without some merit. It's just not going to become (nor
doesn't appear to *want* to move towards) an academic, vetted, authority
that learned authorities and organizations will respect, contribute to, and
support --to the note Alain made, as an encyclopedia. In some other form as
a people's "information commons," maybe that will have a life, as they
say...

I was asked (and okayed) to comment about it for the local paper, San
Diego's Union-Tribune, and my comments are below from the published article,
December 6, 2004:

"Michael McCulley, electronic resources librarian for the San Diego Public
Library, said that while Wikipedia has some value, he would not recommend it
as a credible resource.

"To a library user, I'd recommend using verifiable print and online sources
over the current Wikipedia any time," McCulley said.

"To the curious surfer or information-news junkie, it's a fun environment
for some new and intriguing off-beat topics that are not often covered in
the mainstream media. But caveat emptor with information."

Their full article is still online at
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/computing/personaltech/20041206-9999-mz1b
6encyclo.html

--