[WEB4LIB] re: public library usage statistics

Alnisa Allgood alnisa at nonprofit-tech.org
Fri Feb 4 18:52:06 EST 2005

My day for email responses...

I highly recommend FunnelWeb, which I believe is free now for the basic version. For a visual of a report see http://nahic.ucsf.edu/stats/2004/11_November/

One of the things it allows you to do is configure items for exclusion. For example for this client, who wanted to track the response for a recent push for a new document for the NIIAH, I set exclusion rules that consisted of making sure no one inside their organization was counted towards the final statistics (they have a 100 of the 250+ IPs associated with a subnet, so I just excluded the subnet, I excluded any links to the CSS, images, or other administrative directories, excluded my IP, excluded robots, etc. and then added a few inclusions, such as monitoring the downloads director, etc.

They are primarily interested in downloads of files related to a single project, but did also want to see other web site stats, with a particular focus on what "types" of organizations (i.e. how many other universities vs nonprofits were using their data), but I found the control levels in FunnelWeb to be excellent. I feel like I haven't even scratched 5% of the programs capabilities but the stats I produced for them was soo much cleaner and clearer then their WebTrends report or the report from a few other tested analyzers.

Obviously the list of things you can't really know is long and complicated, but at least for the things you can know or things that you you can take a brief snapshot of can be done well.

Alnisa