[WEB4LIB] RE: USB Flash Drives

Alnisa Allgood alnisa at nonprofit-tech.org
Fri Feb 4 18:30:34 EST 2005

I'm going to just respond to the list, so if others need instructions they will find them here as well.

Okay, basically the Unplug/Eject Disk/Device is a function of the Rundll32.exe, so you'll need to create a shortcut that executes a command. It's very simple here are the steps:

Step 1:) Create a New Shortcut on The Desktop
Right-click on the desktop, select New, then Shortcut

Step 2) Insert Command in the Location Field
>From Step 1, a dialog box will appear asking you the location of the item you want to create a shortcut to, enter the following line of text as is:

%SystemRoot%\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

The command basically tells rundll32.exe to execute a shell command that opens the hotplug device manager

Step 3) Give Shortcut a Name
Once you've entered the command line, select continue/next or whatever verbage Microsoft is currently using. This will take you to the next screen, where you will be prompted to give the shortcut a name. I recommend something meaningful to the users like: Eject USB Flash Drive

Step 4) Save & Test
Save the shortcut then double-click to test. Double clicking the shortcut, should pop open the Unplug or Eject Hardware Manager window.

Step 5) Give it an Icon (Totally Optional)
Because this is basically a command shortcut, the icon will probably be a plain white file icon. I suggest finding an icon that maybe a bit more meaningful and applying it to the shortcut.

That's it, 4-5 easy steps.

Alnisa