[WEB4LIB] Free RSS Reader for Firefox: Sage and Thunderbird

Karen Merguerian nls2 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 1 11:38:58 EST 2005

Sorry I am late weighing in on this thread.

I tried Sage and it works very well.  One caveat: if you like your bookmarks
to display in a column on the left of your browser window (the sidebar),
your RSS sites (Sage) will replace your booksmarks in that position.  You
can't view both bookmarks and Sage in the sidebar at the same time.

This makes sense if you think about it because Sage needs the whole column
to be useful--the lower half for the headines and the main window for the
complete postings.  Anyway you can select Sage (Tools-Sage) whenever you
want to read blogs, and keep the bookmarks there at all other times.

I also have set up Mozilla Thunderbird, the email program, as an RSS reader.
  That works well also.  The RSS sites are listed in the left sidebar, the
headings in plain text in the right hand panel, and if you choose to display
it, the web site in the lower frame.  However, it is a separate app from
Firefox, not an extension.  It doesn't display within the Firefox browser
window like Sage does.

G. Karen Merguerian
Northeastern University Libraries
Boston, MA