[WEB4LIB] Web Editing solutions for sites with many authors

Larry Campbell larry.campbell at ubc.ca
Thu Feb 17 19:22:07 EST 2005

We're in a very similar boat here at UBC Library -- a number of
distinct, fairly independent branches and content providers, varying
levels of html expertise, variety of editing tools (from Notepad to
Dreamweaver), etc. These branches have their own portions (directories)
of the web site, and by and large that's how we handle distributed site
management to this point. We also make extensive use of ColdFusion
mediated databases for such things as subject guides and metadata pages
for eresources.

We've been interested in CMSs for awhile, and have embarked on a project
to redo our intranet using Plone, an open-source CMS, as a way of
getting some experience with such an environment, and with what's
involved in migrating content. Like you, we'd very much appreciate
hearing about anyone else's experiences implementing a CMS of any sort.

Regards,

Larry Campbell
Librarian, Information Technology Services
UBC Library
Email: larry.campbell at ubc.ca
Telephone: 604.822.2076
http://www.library.ubc.ca