Web Editing solutions for sites with many

garyp at itd.umd.edu garyp at itd.umd.edu
Thu Feb 17 17:47:15 EST 2005

Craighton,

Sorry, didn't mean to try and choke off discussion on the issue for
smaller library web sites.  It's just that some solutions (many of the
open-source CMS's I looked at, for example) don't scale up well for large
heterogenous groups of web authors so I kind of wanted to set those aside
as suggested solutions.

Certainly any system where authors have access to raw html code is going
to have consistency and look and feel issues that can only be partially
ameliorated by training, code validators, quality assurance methods, etc.

Contribute has been mentioned by several people. Contribute didn't feel
like the right solution for us due to a number of factors. One was cost,
even with a campus site license it was going to cost $60 a seat to
install.  The main one, though, was that our authors have grown used to
editing web pages wherever they might be (home, the reference desk, at a
lab pc right before they taught a class) and that putting Contribute on
all these PC's were impossible.  Plus permissions are tied to the copy of
Contribute, not to user login, which was also problematic.

[Note: the above is all based on Contribute 2, we haven't looked at 3
yet.]

Combined with the training issues and the work that it looked like was
involved in getting it to generate the kind of code we wanted, we decided
to look elsewhere.  Of course, other solutions are going to have training
and code generation issues as well.