Web Editing solutions for sites with many authors

Rick Wiggins rwiggins at lms.kent.edu
Thu Feb 17 17:44:49 EST 2005

Kent State University Libraries & Media Services has developed a CMS
for our staff to use in building pages for our public web site
(http://www.library.kent.edu).  All page content is dynamically
generated when viewed.  This is a home-grown system build on
Apache/PHP/MySQL.  We use two WYSIWYG editors, Editize and DevEdit,
that we purchased for this project.  We currently have 56 content
providers on this system.

Some interesting features of our system are:

- Pages are composed of one or more sections of content.  The types
of sections currently supported are: text & image, table, form, page
index, resource index, embedded object, and calendar.

- Controlled vocabulary is used to categorize the pages -- both our
home-grown functional vocabulary and LC subject terms.  An
uncontrolled special terms field is available primarily for page
index use.  Page index sections use these terms for dynamic page
index generation.  The Site Index is dynamically generated using the
controlled vocabulary terms.

- All links are verified every night.  This includes text content
links, table data links, and resource links.  Content providers are
notified when a link has been broken for five days.  Links to pages
on our site cannot be broken since a page cannot be deactivated if
another active page is linking to it.  Images and files cannot be
deleted from our site if they are referenced by an active page.

- No HTML tables are allowed in text content.  Data tables can be
included on pages by the creation of an actual database table (using
the CMS) and then including a table section which describes how this
data should be displayed.  The database tables are reusable by all
content providers, so lists of information that might appear on
multiple pages can be stored once.  This makes updating the
information much simpler.

- Form sections allow a content provider to create a form based on
the fields in a database table.  When a patron completes a form the
optionally sent by email to multiple email addresses.

- A large amount of metadata is maintained for resources, including
relevance to specific departments or specific courses.  Any of this
metadata can be used to specify resource index sections.  Resource
index sections are dynamically generated based on this metadata.

We created this system with two programmers in about eight months.
Our staff converted most of our old web site to the CMS in about four
months.  We went live with the new site in August 2004.

There is no way for us to allow outside people to use our CMS since
it is built into our intranet, but I would be happy to answer any
questions that people might have...

--
Rick Wiggins
Kent State University