[WEB4LIB] Web Editing solutions for sites with many authors

Caughey, Mary mary.caughey at oregonstate.edu
Thu Feb 17 13:57:40 EST 2005

Gary and others--

I've been asked by one of our library adminstrators to post a query on
this list about Content Management Systems, so I hope respondents will
share their replies to Gary's message.  Content Management seems to be a
topic that's frequently raised here, but the discussion never seems to
go very far.

I'm guessing it's an issue that many libraries are struggling with, but
for which there still isn't a very satisfactory solution.  CMS seems to
be a wheel that needs to be invented, but libraries rarely have the
resources to do the inventing.

I am willing to share Oregon State University Libraries' experience with
distributed web authoring in hopes that others will come forth with
better solutions:

Although we probably don't have the the 50 web authors Gary mentions, we
probably have 30 individuals contributing to our web site.  As Gary
describes, they have varying skill levels and their contributions may
range from occasionally editing a page that's already been created to
creation of new content on a regular basis.

Small portions of our site are database-driven.  We have a "database of
databases" that runs on a PHP platform, and our ejournals list is hosted
by Serials Solutions. We also host some digital collections that, for
the most part, are ContentDM-based.

The remainder of our library website comprises several thousand html
pages.  For the most part, the pages have been created on a Macromedia
editor.  We started out with HomeSite (formerly owned by Allaire), so
many of our pages were written in a code-based environment.  Eventually
some of us migrated to Dreamweaver, and now many staff are using
Contribute.

Contribute seems to be a fairly nice product, but it doesn't work
ideally in our situation. The best web environment for Contribute is one
that is developed in Dreamweaver, and requires web contributors to
create their pages from Dreamweaver templates.  We've been more likely
to develop our templates using a non-Dreamweaver editor, so at times
they haven't been a snap to edit in Contribute, which is pretty limited
in it's interpretation of CSS.  I won't go into specifics unless anybody
is especially interested in this topic.

But even if Contribute did work perfectly, using it to maintain a
current, accurate, consistent and compliant website would be a
labor-intensive effort, because it's based on static HTML.

We need better solutions, and I'm looking forward to hearing from those
libraries who are using them.  It would be worthwhile to hear what was
involved in implementation of your CMS:
what kinds of programming resources were required?  How long was the
implementation process?  Is the product open source? Etc.

Thanks.

Mary Caughey
Digital Access Coordinator
Oregon State University Libraries