Paper ID - a definition?

Liv Fugl lf at dtv.dk
Mon Feb 14 13:26:26 EST 2005

Hi,
I've recently come across a new (at least to me) concept: Paper ID
As from what I can deduce it is being used as a replacement for
pagenumbering of articles and as a more unique ID numbering of an
article in some journals. I've been trying to figure out more about the
concept but I must admit I gave up in Googling as it has not given much
success except the mere result of articles containing Paper IDs themselves.

So...I was wondering if anyone on Web4Lib would know of any more
backgroundhistory on the concept?

I'm looking for general/broad introduction to the concept:
-is there a definition?
-who started it?
-how widespread is it? are any particular publishers using it?
-is there an official syntax or perhaps a standard that it follows?
The ID's do not seem very long, so I'm wondering if they are always
intended to be used along with the journal title or the ISSN?

-any additional information would be gratefull!

Thank you!

Liv
Liv Fugl (Cand.scient.bibl.)
Information Architect