[WEB4LIB] Free Virtual Reference Software
bernies at uillinois.edu
Sun Feb 6 15:37:53 EST 2005
You might want to take a look at the RAKIM software, although I haven't
heard much about it recently.
There are also a number of libraries that use freely available IM
software to do virtual reference. I'm sure some of them will chime in in
response to your question.
Here's a description from the RAKIM FAQ:
RAKIM is a PHP/SQL-based chat service, designed specifically with
libraries in mind.
Here is an overview of some of its features:
* completely browser-based;
* multiple simultaneous librarians;
* each librarian can answer multiple, simultaneous patrons;
* patron referral to another librarian;
* invite another librarian (and stay in chat);
* librarian-to-librarian chat;
* personal bookmarks and prepared messages;
* shared bookmarks and messages;
* "push" URLs to patron;
The FAQ is available through:
From: web4lib at webjunction.org
[mailto:web4lib at webjunction.org] On Behalf Of Hongbin Liu
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 4:04 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Free Virtual Reference Software
Can anybody recommend some free virtual reference (or chat reference)
software for an academic library?
University of New Orleans Library
More information about the Web4lib