[WEB4LIB] Free Virtual Reference Software

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Sun Feb 6 15:37:53 EST 2005

You might want to take a look at the RAKIM software, although I haven't
heard much about it recently.

There are also a number of libraries that use freely available IM
software to do virtual reference. I'm sure some of them will chime in in
response to your question.

Here's a description from the RAKIM FAQ:

RAKIM is a PHP/SQL-based chat service, designed specifically with
libraries in mind.

Here is an overview of some of its features:

* completely browser-based;
* multiple simultaneous librarians;
* each librarian can answer multiple, simultaneous patrons;
* patron referral to another librarian;
* invite another librarian (and stay in chat);
* librarian-to-librarian chat;
* personal bookmarks and prepared messages;
* shared bookmarks and messages;
* "push" URLs to patron;
* transcripts;
* others.....