[WEB4LIB] Directory browsing allowed

Dobbs, Aaron DobbsA at apsu.edu
Wed Feb 2 16:59:33 EST 2005

Microsoft answer: "It depends".

Tongue in cheek aside,  if you start from a directory that has directory
browsing "allowed" you can arguably browse the tree (depending on IIS
version) unless a sub- or super-directory specifically requires
authentication.  (NT permissions in addition to IIS anonymous user or
other IIS level permissions)

In practice, I have directory browsing "enabled" for some folders in the
"middle" of a path
( i.e.
mydomain.edu/stuff/browse-enabled/not-browse-enabled/end-files.ext ) for
ease of development.

Anonymous users are not able to go "down" the tree (toward the root of
the site) but can go "up" (toward the end files) the tree from the
browseable directory with one exception - if the sub-directory has a
default.htm (or another default file type that is configured in IIS)
then the visitor using a browser is brought to that default page instead
of the folder listing.

N.b.  If you enable directory browse and also specify a default filename
in IIS (and that filename exists in the directory) most browsers bring
up the default file rather than the directory listing, for me.  (tested
on IE, FF0.9, FF0.8)

-Aaron
:-)'

Aaron W. Dobbs, MSLS