The Ur-Podcast

Greg Schwartz greg.schwartz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 13:12:51 EST 2005

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd throw my unsolicited two cents into the podcasting discussion.

>"I have been looking around and I believe Greg Schwartz of Open
Stacks can claim the first librarian podcasts, q.v.:
http://openstacks.net/os/archives/000732.html#000732
(It's possible I'm first runner-up in the Podcasting Librarian
contest, since I did one early this morning on Free Range Librarian,
but in terms of the historical benchmark, does anyone have earlier
examples than Greg's?)"

Karen, I'm taking your initial question to mean 'the first librarian
podcast related to librarianship.' If that is an unintended leap, then
I should point out that Open Stacks is not only not the first podcast
made available by a librarian, it's not even the first podcast by me.
That distinction belongs to my other show, Preserves, Jellies and
Jams. This is a link to the first post, which very well may contain
the first librarian podcast (at least the first by a librarian who has
admitted it): http://openstacks.net/pjj/archives/000726.html
However, I suspect that there are some other unidentified librarians
syndicating non-LIS audio content.

>"Also, it took a lot more preparation to do a half-hour program than
to blog about something. It took me about 2 hours to gather the news,
an hour to write the script, and then half an hour to do the show
(plus transport to and from the studio)."

My process works a bit differently that Fiona's, since I have neither
a studio nor an inherent need to produce an audience. I compile brief
notes over the course of the week, arrange them in a loose order and
go. No script. Limited preparation. And it shows.  But I have to admit
that, given my current time constraints, that's about the best I can
muster (without sponsorship!). I just sit at my computer and blab away
and it seems to be working for people to my infinite surprise and
pleasure. I find it more exciting and overall less taxing than regular
blogging and find that some of my best thoughts crystallize while I'm
recording them.

>"Our campus radio station doesn't webcast, unfortunately, but
podcasting is an intriguing idea for the show. We'd have to deal with
copyright issues due to the music we play."

Emily, I glad you turned up in this conversation (and at the same time
disappointed because I had hoped to talk about your show in my next
episode). I think it would be fantastic if your show became available
via podcast, but the licensing/copyright issue is a big one. Brian
over at http://coverville.com has been examining licensing issues in
relation to his own cast. Although he has paid for ASCAP licensing and
feels confident that he has done what is necessary, there are still
unresolved issues about making complete songs available within mp3s.

While I don't know how big your listener base is at present, I can
assure you that, should you find a way to provide your show online,
there is a built-in audience waiting for you in communties like this
one and throughout the blogosphere. My thoroughly underproduced show
has had over 800 downloads of its first episode in just over a week.
Imagine what someone with skills, experience and production
sensibility could accomplish.

Your Ur-Podcaster until further notice,

Greg Schwartz
http://openstacks.net/os