Michael Gorman "Revenge of the Blog People!" quote sources

Seth Finkelstein sethf at sethf.com
Fri Feb 25 14:05:07 EST 2005

[FYI, for the discussion, and an entry in my, err, blog ...]

Michael Gorman "Revenge of the Blog People!" quote sources
http://sethf.com/infothought/blog/archives/000774.html

Michael Gorman <http://www.michaelgorman.org/>'s article /"Revenge of
the Blog People!" <http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA502009>/ has,
err, caused a stir <http://www.librarian.net/stacks/001194.html>, due to
statements such as:

   "It is obvious that the Blog People read what they want to read
    rather than what is in front of them and judge me to be wrong on the
    basis of what they think rather than what I actually wrote. Given
    the quality of the writing in the blogs I have seen, I doubt that
    many of the Blog People are in the habit of sustained reading of
    complex texts. It is entirely possible that their intellectual needs
    are met by an accumulation of random facts and paragraphs. In that
    case, their rejection of my view is quite understandable."

[Note Michael Gorman is the President-elect of the American Library
Association <http://www.ala.org/>]

In particular:

   "If a fraction of the latter were devoted to buying books and
    providing librarians for the library-starved children of California,
    the effort would be of far more use to humanity and society. Perhaps
    that latter thought will reinforce the opinion of the Blog Person
    who included "Michael Gorman is an idiot" in his reasoned critique,
    because no opinion that comes from someone who is "antidigital" (in
    the words of another Blog Person) could possibly be correct. For the
    record, though I may have associated with Antidigitalists, I am not
    and have never been a member of the Antidigitalist party and would
    be willing to testify to that under oath. I doubt even that would
    save me from being burned at the virtual stake, or, at best, being
    placed in a virtual pillory to be pelted with blogs. Ugh!"

I did some research tracking down these two items. The "idiot" quote is
almost certainly:

    "Where do they find these people?"
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/crasch/327213.html

    "Michael Gorman, president of the American Library Association, is
    an idiot too."

You wouldn't find it simply searching Google for the phrase
"Michael Gorman is an idiot", since the above quote is slightly longer.
I also thought to check Feedster <http://www.feedster.com/>, since
it's a bit better at indexing blogs.

"Antidigital" is probably

  http://cavlec.yarinareth.net/archives/2004/12/21/more-on-google-digitization/

    "All I have to add is a couple cents' worth about Michael Gorman. He
    has always been anti-digital (just read what I've written about him
    for details)"

Again, slight variation means a phrase search wouldn't find it.

All of this yet another iteration of the confusion of the word "blog"
meaning all of diary/chat/punditry. But that's another blogging topic
<http://sethf.com/infothought/blog/archives/000606.html>.

--
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  sethf at sethf.com  http://sethf.com
Infothought blog - http://sethf.com/infothought/blog/